Posted on Sep 15, 2020
One of the many benefits included in the John Deere 1 Series is the straightforward AutoConnectTM feature built into the mower deck systems. Unlike many competitor models, there is no need to have your tool box handy when removing and reattaching your John Deere mower deck. Getting the equipment to engage with your sub-compact tractor can be done from your seat for the most part, with some minor setup done from the ground. The step-by-step instructions for this easy-to- hook-up tractor series are as follows.
Putting The Mower On
1. Whenever making these types of adjustments to your equipment, it’s best to work on a level surface. Getting all your connecting elements to engage can go awry when fighting against unlevel surfaces, sending you straight to your computer in a hurry to search for John Deere auto connect deck problems. Starting on a hard, level surface like a garage or driveway can save you headaches.
2. Place your deck in your working area and then bring your tractor around. Turn your height-of-cut nob so that the arrow is pointing to install. Double check that you are in the 4WD setting.
3. Before driving over the deck, make sure the linkage arms on the deck are in their lowest position. If the deck is just coming out of storage, you may have to apply pressure on the arms to get them to move all the way down.
4. Next, inspect your deck. Notice that on the left-hand side is an elevated green bar that is meant to help guide your wheels into place. Hop back on your tractor and drive right over the deck, keeping an eye on that green bar.
5. The rear bracket should automatically engage with your mower deck but in the event that it does not fully engage, dismount the tractor carefully and try giving the deck a little wiggle to manually help click it into place.
6. Lock the gauge wheels into place and get ready to mow.
Removing The Mower Deck
1. Once again, you’ll want to start work on a level surface to make sure all the connecting elements are well aligned. The first several steps are done from the ground.
2. Turn the height-of-cut adjustment nob so that the arrow is placed in the install position. This can be done from the seat or standing beside the tractor.
3. From the ground, release the gauge wheels. Once they’re released, the deck can be lowered to the ground using whichever mechanism your 1 Series is equipped with, such as a lever or button.
4. From the ground, flip down the rear bracket located in the back of the deck. This step can be done on either the left or right side of the tractor as one side always engages and disengages the other.
5. Return to the operator station, turn on the tractor and make sure you are in the 4WD setting and place the tractor in low range. Begin backing up and off of the mower deck, using that raised green bar on the left-hand side of the deck as a guide.
6. Inspect, clean and stow away your mower deck.
You’ll find that in practice, these six steps for both the removing and reattaching process typically take just a handful of minutes, allowing you to move onto your next task pretty quickly. It’s also important to note here that decks in the 1 Series are designed to be attached by driving forward only and removed by backing off of the equipment. This cannot be done in the opposite direction as the connecting parts can only engage in the designated driving position.
Have questions or need help troubleshooting? Give our expert consultants a shout at your local Ag-Pro dealership—we’re always just a call away. Now that you’re up to speed on how to get your John Deere mower deck attached and removed from your 1 Series tractor, feel free to check out some of our other turf-related blogs featuring tips to help keep your turf looking green and healthy and information on how mulching can improve your lawn.