on Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Ag-Pro Companies News
Thanks to the AutoConnect™ feature built into the John Deere 1 Series mower deck systems, attaching and removing the mower deck is easy. You won’t even need your toolbox to get the job done. Getting the equipment to engage with your sub-compact tractor can be done from the seat for the most part, although some of the setup will take place from the ground. Learn how to remove and attach the mower deck with the step-by-step instructions below.
How to attach the mower deck
1. Find a spacious working area with a level surface. Getting all your connecting elements to engage can go awry when the surface is unlevel, so make sure to do this on a hard, level surface.
2. Once your tractor and mower deck are placed in your working area, turn the height-of-cut knob so that its arrow points to “install.” Make sure that the 4WD setting is engaged.
3. Before driving over the mower deck, ensure that the linkage arms on the deck are at their lowest position. If the deck has just come out of storage, you might have to apply some pressure to the arms to bring them all the way down.
4. Now it’s time to inspect the deck. Find the elevated green bar that’s located on the deck’s left-hand side. This is what you will use to guide the wheels into place. Climb back onto your tractor and, with your eyes on the green bar, drive over the deck.
5. Its rear bracket should automatically engage with the mower deck. However, if it doesn’t fully engage, dismount the tractor and gently wiggle the deck to help it click into place.
6. Lastly, lock the gauge wheels into position and get ready to mow.
How to remove the mower deck
1. Once again, start by finding an area with a hard, level surface to attach the mower deck to help the connecting elements successfully align. The first several steps are done from the ground.
2. While standing beside the tractor or seated behind the wheel, turn the height-of-turn adjustment knob so that the arrow points to the “install” position.
3. Next, from the ground, release the gauge wheels; after this is done, you can lower the deck to the ground by using the mechanism that your 1 Series is equipped with, such as a lever or button.
4. From the ground, find the rear bracket located in the back of the deck and flip it down. You can do this on either the left or right side of the tractor as one side always engages and disengages the other.
5. Climb back into the operator station of the tractor to ensure that it is set to 4WD and in low range. Carefully back up the tractor off of the mower deck and use the raised green bar on the left-hand side of the deck to help guide you.
6. Now that the mower deck is removed from your tractor, clean and inspect it before storing it away.
Reminder: 1 Series decks are designed to be attached only by moving forward and removed by backing off of the equipment. This cannot be done in the opposite direction because the connecting parts can only be engaged in the designated driving position.
You’ll find that in practice, these six steps for both the removing and reattaching process typically take just a handful of minutes, allowing you to move on to your next task pretty quickly.
Any questions? We’re here to help.
Have questions or need help troubleshooting? Give our expert consultants a shout at your local Ag-Pro dealership — we’re always just a call away. Now that you’re up to speed on how to get your John Deere mower deck attached and removed from your 1 Series tractor, feel free to check out some of our other turf-related blogs featuring tips to help keep your turf looking green and healthy and information on how mulching can improve your lawn.
- 1 series
- john deere
- john deere auto connect
- mower deck